Assi Ghat is one of the most popular ghats in Varanasi, visited regularly by both tourists and locals. Assi Ghat is located in the southern part of the holy city of Varanasi at the confluence of Ganga and Assi rivers. People visit Assi Ghat for several reasons, to soak in the spiritual atmosphere, enjoy the famous evening aarti and get a glimpse into the local culture. This ghat finds a mention in various Hindu scriptures like Kurma Purana, Matsya Purana, Padma Purana and Agni Purana.
Assi ghat is believed to be one of the five ghats where Lord Shiva resides, and it is a significant destination for both tourists and pilgrims.
Assi Ghat Aarti Timing
|Morning Aarti( Summers)||5:00 AM|
|Morning Aarti (Winters)||5:30 AM|
|Evening Aarti ( Summers)||7:00 PM|
|Evening Aarti (Winters)||6:00 PM|
|Aarti Duration||Approx 45 Minutes|
The Aarti starts soon after sunset and lasts for 45 minutes. The timings during summers are 7 PM because of late sunsets and in winters it started around 6 PM.
Entry Fee / Charge for Assi Ghat
Please note that from the administration side there are no entry charges for the aarti or ghat. Depending on the space availability and the time one has reached the ghat one can witness the aarti.
Subah-e-Banaras at Assi Ghat
Subah-e-Banaras is a unique start-up by the Government of Uttar Pradesh. It was started in 2014, keeping in mind the freshness offered by the beautiful city of Varanasi surrounded by the perpetually flowing the Ganges.
Subah-e-Banaras on Assi Ghat in Varanasi was an initiative taken by a group of government officials forming a committee.
|Start Time||05:00 AM (Summer) | 05:30 AM (Winter)|
|End Time||07:00 AM (Summer) | 07:30 AM (Winter)|
|Entry Fee||No Entry Fee|
|Duration||Approx 2 Hrs|
|Activities & Programs|
How to Reach Assi Ghat ?
The Assi Ghat is located near Lanka & Ravindrapuri of Varanasi.
- Fly to Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport.
- Taxi or ride-share to Assi Ghat (45 mins).
- Arrive at Varanasi Junction.
- Take an auto-rickshaw or cycle rickshaw to Assi Ghat (30 mins).
- One can take Taxi, auto-rickshaw, or cycle rickshaw to Assi Ghat from any part of Varanasi.
- You can also use your private car, you can park your car near assi ghat.
Distance Between Assi Ghat & Popular Tourist Destinations :
- Distance Between Assi Ghat & Varanasi Airport: 24 KM (60 minutes)
- Distance Between Assi Ghat & Varanasi Junction (Railway Station): 8 KM (30 Minutes)
- Distance Between Assi Ghat & Kashi Vishwanath Temple: 4 KM (30 minutes )
- Distance Between Assi Ghat & Sarnath: 14 KM (45 minutes)
- Distance Between Assi Ghat & Dashashwamedh Ghat: 3 KM (30 minutes)
- Distance Between Assi Ghat & Durgakund: 2 KM (15 Minutes)
- Distance Between Assi Ghat & Banaras Hindu University (BHU): 2 KM (15 Minutes)
History of Assi Ghat
Assi Ghat derives its name from the Assi River, which used to flow into the Ganges before it changed its course. The ghat is said to have been named after the legendary sage Assi, who was believed to have meditated here. According to Hindu mythology, it is said that after defeating the demon Shumbha-Nishumbha, Goddess Durga threw her sword into the river, and the spot where it fell is now known as the Assi Ghat.
The ghat has a rich history and was a prominent center of trade and commerce during ancient times. It was an important destination for merchants and traders who came to Varanasi to sell their goods. It is also said that Lord Buddha visited this place during his travels and gave his first sermon at nearby Sarnath.